The Pupil Premium Grant (PPG) is funding provided to schools which is additional to main school funding. It is allocated according to the number of pupils aged 5-16 on roll who are eligible for:
- Free school meals (FSM)
- Pupils who have been eligible for free school meals at some point over the last six years. (This is called Ever 6 FSM )
- Pupils who have been looked after, in care, (CLA)
- Pupils of armed services personnel
‘It is for schools to decide how the Pupil Premium is spent since they are best placed to assess what additional provision should be made for the individual pupils within their responsibility. Schools are free to spend the Pupil Premium as they see fit. However, they will be held accountable for how they have used the additional funding to support pupils.’ – Department for Education April 2012.
Funding for Financial Year 2019-20
In 2019-20 schools will receive the following funding for each child registered as eligible.
- £1,320 for pupils in reception year to year 6
- £935 for pupils in year 7 to 11
There is an additional funding rate £2,300 for pupils who are eligible for free school meals and have left Local Authority care because of the following:
- A special guardianship order
- A child arrangement order
- A residence order
Pupils in Local Authority care also attract this level of funding. Funding for these pupils doesn’t go to their school but it goes to the Virtual School Head (VSH).